Over the weekend, I was thinking through some of the most important theological issues and controversies in recent years. One of my goals as a Christian and minister is to be able to address the most important issues and controversies thoroughly and carefully.
Here is my top 15 list below. I would love to hear what you think about this list.
>> Are there any that I am leaving out? Should one or more be higher on the list? Lower? Give me your thoughts.
Top 15 Theological Issues/Controversies Today
14. Biblical (Nouthetic) Counseling
13. Christianity in the Public Square (politics and civic responsibility)
12. Cessationism vs. Continuationism
11. Evangelicalism (its contours and future)
10. Calvinism vs. Arminianism
8. Gender-Neutral Debate (Egalitarian vs. Complementarian as well as translation theories)
7. The Doctrine of Hell (its disappearance: Annihilationalism and Universalism)
6. Emerging Church Movement
5. The Doctrine of Substitutionary Atonement
4. Justification and New Perspectives of Paul (NPP)
3. Open Theism (theology proper and providence)
2. Postmodern Epistemology (nature of truth, Postfoundationalism, relativism, new tolerance, incredulity towards metanarratives, etc.)
1. Religious Pluralism (pluralism, inclusivism, syncretism, ecumenism, etc.)
Biblical Theology, Hermeneutics, Law and the Gospel (mainly continuity/discontinuity argument), Jesus Seminar (and Da Vinci Code), Church Government (and regulative principle), imputation, Lordship salvation (free grace movement), Evangelicals and Catholics Together (ECT), Marriage and Family, Textual Criticism
What’s your list look like? Wanna critique mine? Let me know your thoughts.