This past summer, I spent a considerable amount of time reading books on pastoral ministry and the life of the minister. I thought I’d post my top 16 list of books for ministers. Perhaps you might not be familiar with some of these, or you might want to consider purchasing one of these for your pastor (“National Clergy Month” is October). In any case, these books have been helpful for my soul, and I commend them to you.
1. The Christian Ministry – Charles Bridges
2. Lectures to My Students – Charles Spurgeon
3. The Reformed Pastor – Richard Baxter
4. An Earnest Ministry – John Angel Adams
5. The Godly Man’s Picture – Thomas Watson
6. Between Two Worlds – John R.W. Stott
7. Preaching & Preachers – D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
8. Practical Religion – J.C. Ryle
9. A Pastor’s Sketches – Icabod Spencer
10. A Quest of Godliness – J.I. Packer
11. The Supremacy of God in Preaching – John Piper
12. Words to Winners of Souls – Horatius Bonar
13. An All-Around Ministry – Charles Spurgeon
14. Memoirs and Remains of Robert Murray M’Cheyne – Andrew Bonar
15. Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching – Don Kistler (editor)
16. Brothers, We Are Not Professionals – John Piper
Do you have a favorite on this list?
Are there any books on this list you would recommend?